[RP TownTalk] Opossums

euniverz at aol.com euniverz at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 20:44:20 UTC 2007

I've had visits from them.  I enjoy living with the wild things.  They're usually more afraid of us than  we should be of them.  They can be loud and scary sounding when frightened, but mostly harmless.  It is baby season so perhaps you were unwittingly  too close to babies.  They are generally a harmless creature and since we've encroached on nearly every last bit of open space, I think it's only fair that we share our world with them.

Here's a good site:
http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/frequently_asked_questions.htm#There%20is%20an%20opossum%20in%20my%20yard.%20 What%20do%20I%20do?

And most importantly, 'possums are RARELY carriers of rabies.  Their body temperature is too low.

Adrianne Lefkowitz  (Not a PETA person :-)  )
Madison & 48th

-----------------------------
Message: 7
ate: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 01:29:26 -0400
rom: "Iris McLaurin-Southall" <elsiegoh at starpower.net>
ubject: [RP TownTalk] Onslaught of Opossums in Neighborhood
o: <towntalk at riverdale-park.org>
essage-ID: <000001c7a98d$fcba2910$0a01a8c0 at EGOH>
ontent-Type: text/plain;   charset="us-ascii"
Onslaught of Opossums in Neighborhood

ky or I regularly come home between 1am-3am.  For the past three weeks we
ave noticed that every night, there are 2 or more opossums wandering the
treets in our yard or neighbors yards and porches on Oliver Street.
I am uncomfortable with their aggressiveness, and what appears to be an
ncrease recently.  I thought they are suppose to "play possum" and become
otionless if they feel threatened.  We stay completely out of their, and do
ot make any attempt to
un them away, nor to welcome them...but, they continue to advance toward us
f we happen to be in there path while trying to get out of the car.
I decided to write about tonight, because I just heard the horrible sounds
f our neighbor's cat; I don't see a possum, and I am hoping that the
ossums are not attackers of any of the neighborhood pets.   I know someone
ut there will educate me, no offense to the PETA people; I just want to us
ll to be safe.   Bear, my dearly beloved Elk Hound died in 2000, when we
ad the attack of the rabid raccoons.  Just want to be safe.
Concerned for Us & You ...on Oliver Street
aka  Sky and Iris)