[RP TownTalk] tax rate FY 07-08

Kate Sharpe katherinesharpe at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 8 23:31:46 UTC 2007

Dear Town Talkers,

Last night the Town Council voted unamimously to set the tax rate for fiscal year 2007-08 at 64.1 cents per $100 of assessed valuation.  In other words, the tax rate will remain the same as last year.  The mayor, council and town staff have worked hard over the last few weeks to find ways to keep the tax rate constant, while maintaining sufficient funding for the quality services expected by RP residents.

As has been discussed previously on Town Talk, our revenue situation was challenging this year.  The sale of Riggs Bank to PNC meant a loss of $75,000 in revenue.  While revenue from property assessments has increased, costs for worker’s compensation premiums, gasoline and utilities have also increased.  The major road infrastructure project that we have undertaken will benefit our town for years, but is also an added expense.  Finally, we needed to honor the established pay scale instituted by the mayor and previous Council that regulates staff salary increases, and keeps RP salaries competitive with surrounding areas.

With the assistance of the Mayor and staff, the Council pared down the original budget proposal by $77,200 (= 1.9 cents).  Basically, small reductions were made in many areas. The detailed spreadsheets will be available shortly on the town website: http://ci.riverdale-park.md.us/.  To make up the rest of the revenue shortfall, the Council decided to use $111,520 (= 2.7 cents) from our cash reserves.  This represents approximately 11% of our total reserves.  We felt comfortable that the remaining cash reserves are more than sufficient to meet town needs.

So what are we getting for our money this year?  Highlights from this year’s budget include:
Laptop computers for police vehicles (which will free up dispatchers to respond more promptly to citizen calls)
Four new police cruisers to replace outdated vehicles
Website upgrade (to better present/promote our town)
Funding for traffic study
Funding for economic development assistance
Fuel management system for police/public works vehicles, to replace dysfunctional system and reduce fuel costs
As a final note, the Council wants to express our appreciation for the public interest and involvement in the budget process this year.  Government functions best with dedicated, caring citizens watching over the process, and Riverdale Park is lucky to have so many!

Sincerely,
The Riverdale Park Town Council
Kate Sharpe, Ward 2, Finance Chair
Alice Ewen Walker, Ward 1