[RP TownTalk] Mural info

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 00:45:31 UTC 2007

As I read the postings about the mural I became curious and found that the
mural was the focus of a Maryland Newsline item and it is still available
online  -- I copied it and present it below -- I don't know how well it will
transmit,  but it's a pretty good photo and a very good explanation of the artist's
subject.

Maryland Newsline    Home Page

_Politics_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/politics/)
_Business & Tech_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/business/)
_Schools_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/schools/)
_Crime & Justice_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/justice/)
_Health_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/health/)
_Et Cetera_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/)

Mural  Fever: Public Art in the D.C. Area

____________________________________

"A Summer's Day," painted by John Ford in 1976, depicts the  artist's memory
of summer visits with his grandfather, Walter Ford,  at his grandparents'
Riverdale Park home.
John Ford, who died in 1996 at age 42, painted the mural  on a large board
affixed to the side of what used to be a  consignment shop. He added an overhang
at the top to protect the  mural from the weather, says  Riverdale Park Mayor
Ann  Ferguson.
Riverdale Park officials  fought in 1998 to preserve the  mural after an
Eckerd's Drugstore proposed demolishing the building  to open a new store.
Residents protested and eventually won the  battle to keep the mural and the
building. Ferguson says in October  2000 the municipality purchased the land
underneath the mural to  plant flowers and  build a small park. For now, the mural will
 not be torn down.
"It's an identifying marker," Ferguson says. "When Eckerd's  Drugstore
threatened that corner (East-West Highway and Baltimore  Avenue), a lot of people
from the surrounding area were  inflamed.
"They said, 'I count on that mural when I see it. When I see  it, I know I am
in Riverdale Park.' "
____________________________________

_1_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage1.htm)    _2_
(http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage2.htm)    _3_
(http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage3.htm)     _4_
(http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage4.htm)     _5_
(http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage5.htm)    _6_
(http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage6.htm)     _7_
(http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage7.htm)
Copyright © 2001  University of Maryland College of Journalism
_Top of Page_
(http://www.newsline.umd.edu/etcetera/murals/muralpage5.htm#Top)  | _ Home Page_ (http://www.newsline.umd.edu/default.htm)