[RP TownTalk] Cafritz reporting

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 21:34:39 UTC 2007

Still waiting for the Cafritz team to post its findings from the series of
"community workshops" to its website, as promised... Meanwhile, Rethink
College Park has done it for us, summarizing the community input offered at
the Riverdale Elementary meetings.

http://rethinkcollegepark.net/blog/2007/425/

I won't quote from the article here, because the entire thing is well worth
the read. It does include the announced schedule of further, upcoming
Cafritz meetings, also to be held at Riverdale Elementary:

THURSDAY, July 26TH (7-9pm) & SATURDAY, July 28th (10am-12pm)
Two identical meetings, to share the team's "design principles."

SATURDAY, September 15th (10am-12pm) -TUESDAY, September 18th (7-9pm)
Two identical meetings to share their "concept plan."

Earliest possible groundbreaking: Fall 2009 (assumes successful rezoning)

The Gazette also had an article, which is available at:
http://www.gazette.net/stories/062107/hyatnew202417_32379.shtml

I thought the most interesting items in the the Gazette article are the
quotes from University Park Mayor Tabori and Dineen O'Connor, the
responsible representative for our area on the Planning Commission.

Mayor Tabori summarized input from several UP residents at the meetings:

''An important issue for us is where the entrance and exit are going to be.
Is it going to be right on Route 1 and across from us?"

(To which I would respond, "Of course it's going to be on Route 1!" How
could it not be? I would think the question is 'what additional access
routes will there be, besides Route 1?')

O'Connor shed some light on what's involved assuming the Cafritz team
proceeds and applies for the zoning change (to change the property's zoning
from single family residences to multiuse zoning):

"The developer has to either prove there was a mistake in the original
zoning...or prove that there has been a change in the character of the area
to warrant a re-examination of the property," she said.

O'Connor said it typically takes the Planning Board a year to decide.

--
Riverdale Park Coffee House (blog only-BYOC)
http://rpcoffeehouse.blogspot.com/