[RP TownTalk] security systems...

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu May 3 19:36:11 UTC 2007

Nancy Augustine wrote:
> Lou -
> I think you're answering a question that came to mind when I read
> Drena's post, hoping you can clarify: do door-to-door vendors need a
> permit from the town? Guys that come around offering to clean the
> gutters or pave the driveway?
>
> ~Nancy
Nancy, the short answer is YES!

"Guys that come around offering to clean the gutters or pave the
driveway" or selling meat out of the back of their truck, selling
security systems all require a license to sell in the town of Riverdale
Park.

The real answer can be found at
http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us/AboutRiverdalePark/LawsOfTown/Code200512.pdf
and I quote: (emphases are mine)

§ 42-1. License required. [Amended 11-3-75; 6-1-81; 6-15-84. Amended
2-6-95, effective 2-26-95.]
No person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation located in or
operating from or
in the Town of Riverdale Park shall barter, sell, or otherwise dispose
of for any valuable
consideration or offer for sale any goods, chattels, wares, or other
merchandise or services, or
operate or engage in the soliciting of a business, which is defined as
any commercial, industrial,
service, professional, or retail establishment or activity operated for
profit, without first
obtaining a license from the town in the manner and form prescribed for
the purpose; provided,
however, that this requirement shall not apply to activities conducted
on behalf of the Riverdale
Fire Department, Inc., or for exclusively religious, charitable, or
educational purposes.

For those that can't see the emphases, No person...operating...in the
Town of Riverdale Park shall...sell...or offer for sale
any...merchandise or services...or engage in the soliciting of a
business...without first obtaining a license from the town...

As a totally unofficial reference, the town policy is to NOT give
licenses to door-to-door sales people. Which means, a scam or not,
reliable or not, good deal or not, they do not have a license to go
door-to-door in Riverdale Park.

Now if they are an established business in town, and have a license for
that business, then they can of course offer their services to others in
town.  And of course if you are not satisfied with the services, you can
till the town and effect the licensing process. But as Council person
Gerard Kiernan has noted here, the number of people doing business in
town and the number of people paying taxes for those businesses in town
do not match.

 From the /Town Crier, /Code Enforcement's Direct phone line is
301-209-1505. Colleen Ferguson also included in the /Crier/ her Cell
phone 240-508-8460 for 24/7 service.

Do I have a thing about door-to-door solicitation, yes.  Any type.

Boy, Nancy did you pull my chain!

Lou