[RP TownTalk] suspicious activity?

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Wed May 16 17:13:28 UTC 2007

I've suspected for a number of months that the parking lot is where some
drug activity is happening. I've seen the exact behavior you describe a
number of times back there. Also seen one car waiting, another drive up,
and then both cars drive away.

For a while, it was also happening on 48th St next to my house. I called
the police every time. They don't do business there anymore.

Lisa asked for guidance - the answer is "If it looks odd, call."

Years ago, Vernon Archer set up a neighborhood watch program in town. We
patrolled the streets regularly, and coordinated closely with the police.
They provided scanners, and backup.

I learned a few important things during that time:

(1) If you think it's suspicious, it probably is.

(2) Let the police sort it out. They are professionals, and they will not
harass people if they are doing nothing wrong.

(3) Patrols can work because when criminals see people on patrol, they
know the neighbors are watching. But we can't be on patrol all the time,
and many crimes actually happen during the day (as did the recent break-in
on Queensbury.)

(4) The MOST helpful thing is for neighbors to talk to each other and
watch out for each other. Know your neighbors. Know their schedules. Watch
for anything wierd. And if *anything* looks suspcicious, call the police.

---

I think it might be a really good idea for us to have a "Neighborhood
Watch" meeting with someone from the police department. Working together,
we can really help them to do their job effectively.

-Sarah