[RP TownTalk] suspicious activity?

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu May 17 10:07:32 UTC 2007

> Actually, the iteration of Neighborhood Watch you are speaking of was the
> offshoot of a program begun by Hyattsville and West Riverdale Park residents
> near Crescent Cities and then later expanded by the council, of which I was
> a lead, and the Riverdale Park Police Department. Mr. Archer and his
> neighbor patrolled the town, as did many current and former residents. He
> cannot take credit for starting the program.

My memory of the beginning of neighborhood watch differs from that of
Ms. Davis.

It began as a project started by the now-defunct Residents Association
for Progress in the Town of Riverdale Park, of which I was co-founder.
I specifically remember the kick-off meeting which was an offshoot of
that organization, and was one of the best-attended town meetings I've
been to.  (For confirmation of this, you can look at the page for
RAPTOR on the town website at:
http://ci.riverdale-park.md.us/AboutRiverdalePark/TownGroups/RAPTOR.html
- note that the page has been unchanged since March 20, 1999.)

While I do remember that the council, including Ms. Davis, was
invaluable in helping to get the program started, I also remember that
it was Mr. Archer who was the real impetus behind getting the entire
program going. Mr. Archer took on the often tedious task of scheduling
shifts, and was one of the most dedicated patrollers. Ms. Davis is
correct that Mr. Kolos and another neighbor (whose name I've
forgotten) were very active in the program - they patrolled long after
the rest of us had stopped.

Ms. Davis is certainly correct in that many people were involved in
the program - it's one reason it was so successful. We also could not
have done it without the Police Department, who worked closely with us
at every stage, giving us equipment, advice, and support.

----

But that's all in the past, and it really doesn't matter now.  What
matters now is doing something.

I've spoken with my friend, Maureen Farrington, and we want to restart
some form of Neighborhood Watch in Riverdale Park. Watch your e-mail
for more information as we get organized.

Best regards,
Sarah Wayland
4711 Sheridan Street