[RP TownTalk] suspicious activity?

CHRISTINA DAVIS book-smart at verizon.net
Thu May 17 03:04:05 UTC 2007

Actually, the iteration of Neighborhood Watch you are speaking of was the
offshoot of a program begun by Hyattsville and West Riverdale Park residents
near Crescent Cities and then later expanded by the council, of which I was
a lead, and the Riverdale Park Police Department. Mr. Archer and his
neighbor patrolled the town, as did many current and former residents. He
cannot take credit for starting the program.

However, since this last program was before the widespread use of cell
phones, it seems to me that it would be time to restart one or several
programs given the rise in crime in all of the town's neighborhoods and the
"new" technology available. Crime in town is cyclical, with good and bad
times, and is mostly of opportunity (MS-13 notwithstanding).

And for the tax increase: What the heck is going on? My phone and email have
been buzzing like a hive of bees. I think back to when my husband and I
bought our first house in town in 1990, for $104,900 and an FHA loan, and it
took everything we had to do it. A tax increase of any significant measure
would have driven us out of Riverdale Park right then. I know all the
tricks, after having served on the council for a decade (and being a good
Democrat), and I and others even unsuccessfully campaigned to remove the tax
cap to allow for more moderate increases. What is proposed now is
inexcusable, and given the town's long anti-tax history (caps, referendums,
borrowing within a set limit to do major road work in phases or make capital
improvements, special taxes with sunset provisions), residents and business
owners could rightfully call that a violation of public trust.

Throughout the town's history, small increases have been met with moderate
resistance. This increase deserves a brick wall. The town always has and
will continue to need resources, but the expenses can be phased in over time
(upgrade the salaries over several years--and they must be upgraded--not all
at once; stop calling Douglas Jemal names on this list and sit down with him
and talk about the Town Center). I have given these and other suggestions to
the dozen or so people I have heard from in the past week. You need to call
the mayor and council and talk it over with them. Or talk to Jack Jones and
others about a new tax structure that penalizes derelict/underdeveloped
properties and lowers the rate for people who improve and maintain their
properties (Riverdale Park would be the first in the state to adopt this).

And show up to the meetings.

Chris Davis