[RP TownTalk] Starting Up Neighborhood Watch (Again)

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:54:04 UTC 2007

David raises an important point - one that the Neighborhood Watch
people from College Park also discussed when they came to meet with
RAPTOR in 1996. In their experience, the thing that helped most was to
educate people about how to make their house/apartment/neighborhood
safer, and, most importantly, to get to know your neighbors so you can
all watch out for each other.

When talking with Maureen last night, one thing we both agreed on was
that we didn't know what form of "neighborhood watch" would make the
most sense, and that we should come to a consensus as a community to
determine the best approach.

One part of that approach should definitely be educating people -
that's the only part I personally feel strongly about.

The report in David's link is excellent, if incredibly long. I think
it could really help us as a community to define the best approach to
our own flavor of "Neighborhood Watch".  (My point here is that the
name, Neighborhood Watch, is only a name. We can come up with a new
name (if someone wants to devote time to that), and, more importantly,
an effective approach. It will just take some careful thought and work
to make sure we have input from all parts of the community.)

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland
Maryland - USA