[RP TownTalk] Neighborhood watch

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 13:17:21 UTC 2007

RE previous posts - perhaps Neighborhood Watch
programs aren't completely effective, and I'm
certainly not advocating that we go running after bad
guys yelling "citizens arrest!"  However, I have to
believe that letting the police know about suspicious
activities, whether as an organized community effort
or as individuals has to have some benefit.  Our
police force IS a very visible presence in our
community, and thank goodness for that; however, they
can't be everywhere at once. On another tack -  I
understand that last year there was a shooting in my
apartment building; when I expressed concern about it
to a neighbor he said I shouldn't worry, that they
weren't shooting at me!  THAT is what we have to work
to change in our community, the feeling that, if it
doesn't involve "me" directly, it's "not my problem."
All we have to do is watch the evening news to see how
innocent people are caught in the crossfire of
drive-by shootings and other such incidents.

Can I ask one question - if a rental property has a
high incidence of police calls, does the police
department, Mayors' office, or anyone try to contact
the owner/manager of the rental property regarding
what's going on?  If not, it might be a good idea to
start?    (just my opinion - thanks for letting me
ramble....)