[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 10, Issue 39

Brian Boettger brian_boettger at hotmail.com
Thu May 17 17:46:02 UTC 2007

Isn't Brookland in DC?

I'd agree, the area does have similar amenities to RP but politically I
believe it is much different.
I maybe wrong, but I don't think DC has separate tax structures for it's
individual neighborhoods. It may for it's Wards, which in that case it is in
Ward 5 of the District which certainly does have many large scale retail and
business. Also, Catholic U is actually IN it's taxable area. I don't see any
part of the University of Maryland in the Riverdale Park town limits, but
please correct me if I'm worng. So I don't think it is a fair comparison.

Takoma Park may be a better comparison to make though I can't be sure
without some research. RP is kind of an anomoly as it is so small and really
doesn't incorporate a large business base to help with the taxes as you have
suggested. RP reminds me of the kind of town you might find in California
around Los Angeles with very wealthy people that create bedroom communities.
They are fine with paying whatever for their taxes as it gives them control
to keep an undesired element out...Starbuck's in, Joe's Autobody out...

I agree though, let's look at how to fill the holes. I've thought the Town
Center would be great for a cafe or coffee house especially with the Dumm's
development and the trails to connect to College Park. It'll certainly be
easier to get to than College Perk.
Brian