[RP TownTalk] FW: suspicious activity?

CHRISTINA DAVIS book-smart at verizon.net
Thu May 17 22:25:32 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: CHRISTINA DAVIS [mailto:book-smart at verizon.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 6:12 PM
To: 'Roland Walker'
Subject: RE: [RP TownTalk] suspicious activity?

Yes, I now live in Hagerstown, and as other former elected officials on this
list, will put in my two cents when barraged with requests to do so.

For those who are new, I lived in Riverdale Park from 1965 to 2005. I guess
you can figure out how old I am.

I grew up on Oglethorpe Street, in the shadow of Riversdale, and attended
Riverdale Elementary, Hyattsville Middle, and Bladensburg Senior (Class of
1983, valedictorian, attending the same school as my grandfather). I still
consider myself a fourth-generation Riverdale Parker. I am descended from
blue-collar workers who saw some of their children and grandchildren move
into professional positions. But we're proud of all of us, regardless of
career path.

>From 1990 to 1994 I held various positions on the Town Crier. From 1995 to
early 2005 I was a member of the Riverdale Park Town Council, chairing the
Public Works, Public Safety, and Economic Development Committees. I was Vice
Mayor for 4 of those years and could run a full meeting with public comments
in 20-30 minutes.

As the first president of the Preservation Association of Riverdale Park, I
led the successful efforts to obtain 2 historic districts. I wrote the
enabling legislation changing the town's name from Riverdale back to
Riverdale Park, the original subdivision name, to help us differentiate
ourselves as a municipality with full services to residents. I edited and
led the group that wrote the award-winning town history book, From Mansion
to Municipality. I served for 1.5 years on the Prince George's Preservation
Commission.

I rode the MARC train for 15 years; I run a publishing company now, having
worked in my first job for a woman who still lives in Riverdale Park. I saw
the Town Center every day and worried about its future (and it has looked
like that since I was a kid).

Most importantly, for a decade I sat at the council table and worked to find
solutions each budget issue. Early in my career, I averted a town-wide
service shutdown by brokering an agreement between two factions that would
not budge (and would not pass any budget that didn't have it their way). I
saw years when employees received no raises and years when we could catch
up. Years when we did not purchase new police cars or public works vehicles
and years when we re-outfitted the fleet. Years when infrastructure
improvements were covered only by grants and years we borrowed money. When I
left my council seat, only 1 street in the Ward needed to be repaired; the
remaining were done in my predecessor's or my term.

And, partly as a result of those experiences, I returned my council salary
to the town to use for infrastructure improvements. And was attacked for
doing so in a public meeting once I moved away (I had the town financial
services company's blessing for returning my salary, as did Cleo Ness, a
former Ward 6 Councilmember who served before my time).

What I never had the benefit of was the wild increase in assessments that is
currently bolstering the town's finances. Wow, what we could have done with
that money.

Thanks for inviting me to go down memory lane--and reminding me of why I
should still care very deeply for Riverdale Park.

Chris Davis