[RP TownTalk] Neighborhood Watch ~ National Night Out Aug 1 2007

Iris McLaurin-Southall elsiegoh at starpower.net
Thu May 17 20:43:51 UTC 2007

I am all for the Neighborhood Watch, I do it all the time.  I work through
the night which gives a great opportunity to constantly check the streets
and surrounding area.   Secondly, years ago, my husband used to work with an
organization that sold security alarms (door to door), and he asked me to
pass along that one of the biggest deterrents to crime is a well lit house,
inside and out.   He says a dark house or yard is a magnet for crime.    The
slight rise in the electric bill is way better than the risk of the burglary
or an act of violence.

I purpose in addition to the Neighborhood Watch, we participate aggressively
and in large numbers in the National Night Out, Tuesday, August 1, 2007.
After my car was stolen last June--in broad daylight, while I was home
sitting at an upstairs window--I did a tremendous amount Research on the
National Association of Town Watchers, and their National NightOut program.
I had hoped RP would participate because my research showed we had not in a
while (though I do seem to remember one some time ago), yet, neighbors
Hyattsville and I believe Bladensburg were visibly in the newspapers as
hosting a Night Out during some years.   Also, I found that a few Maryland
cities had received awards in 2005 for excellent NNO programs: District
Heights, Olney and Annapolis, Charles County and Washington, DC.  (Last year
Annapolis and St. Mary County won  awards). I was willing to spearhead the
event, and shared my research with Mayor Archer on June 19, he responded
immediately the same day, and referred me via email to Councilman Kiernan,
since he was the Public Safety Chair, he said that would be the logical
place to start organizing, and he copied the Police Department on the email,
too.   I do not recall or have record of any response from neither Mr.
Kiernan nor the Police.  I generally have to hit while the iron is hot
because I work through the night because I have to, not because of insomnia;
so I should have contacted Mr .Kiernan directly when I did not receive a
response.  Well, if we had a 2006 NNO out, I do know about it.

The NNO is a simple implementation, designed to be initiated via the town's
police department.  However, the Free program kit can be issued to a
resident, as well.  Visit www.nationalnightout.org
<http://www.nationalnightout.org/>  to learn more.  Finally, why wait for
August 1, we could do our version now, and participate in the big publicized
August.

Iris and Sky

Ward 1