[RP TownTalk] Budget and taxation

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Sun May 20 20:34:16 UTC 2007

Sarah and Alan

Last Wednesday, at your request, I posted details of how
I calculated the tax increase numbers. I am surprised that
you have not commented on wether or not you found the
calculations correct.

However, I am confident the calculations are correct.

The proposed Riverdale Park taxes will increase by 27%
according to the state's constant yield tax rate (on average,
some will be higher than 27% and some lower).

That is a huge hike.

Yes, taxes will go up. I am OK with that. But this is too much.

We are now in a declining revenue period, so I believe it is time to
tighten up and reduce spending. Wait for an expanding revenue
period (like when M-Square comes on line) to expand government.
Put off expenses like the recreation building and hold the line
on the number of employees. Delay some new hires and purchases.

-Rob