[RP TownTalk] Budget and tax rate process

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon May 21 15:12:25 UTC 2007

Personally, I am by no means tired of this discussion -- what could be more
useful and important than dialogue about our town property taxes and what we
get for them -- now, and in the future.  Like some have already said, I
think it's too bad the discussion couldn't have started somewhat sooner --
it does feel a bit rushed, for something as momentous as this is. But it is
good to know that there are at least a few meetings to go before things are
finalized.

One thing I am hoping for at tonight's meeting is a succinct explanation of
the relationship of town property taxes to state property taxes - how each
is decided and what each is used for.

Another thing I'm hoping for is a good turnout.  While it's somewhat
understandable that people may be a bit cynical about their ability to
genuinely influence events on the national scene, the nature of town
politics is so entirely different. When ward elections can be won with as
few a few dozen votes, and your representative lives no further than a few
blocks away, how unfathomable and dismaying is it that (reportedly) zero
people turned up at last year's budget meeting?

Dwight (one of the '30-or-so' new homeowners)

--
~~
Map of Riverdale Park MD Trolley Hiker-Biker Trail and Cafritz Property