[RP TownTalk] Why the big tax hike?

Alice Ewen Walker alice at ewenwalker.com
Mon May 21 20:13:54 UTC 2007

>In this 11th
> hour, I'll leave it at that - this is a topic to take up as we approach the
> budget process for next year.

Just to clarify on this point, the incoming town council will work
through much of June on nailing down the expense side of the budget.
While the council has to take a vote first (typically in early June)
regarding the maximum rate that MAY be assessed, it is within the
power of the council to lower the rate that WILL be assessed after
slogging through the budget and doing some cost cutting.

I realize that sounds complex. In essence, Vote 1 is the upward bound
beyond which the town may not venture. Vote 2 is the actual budget,
which may result in a lower rate than what Vote 1 sets forth.

Current and incoming council members received our detailed budget
binders on Friday, May 18, so we are just getting started on the work
ahead.

- Alice Ewen Walker