[RP TownTalk] Improvements will save money in the long term

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Mon May 21 02:27:33 UTC 2007

[Both Alan & Sarah here.]

We'd like to raise some issues about the draft budget that haven't
yet been discussed, and in particular, we want to point out that the
actions of the current mayor council were actually made to SAVE the
town hundreds of thousands of dollars over the long term.

But first, let's set the record straight: As Rob stated in an earlier
message to the list (http://riverdale-park.org/pipermail/towntalk/
2007-May/001831.html), the tax hike is not 27%, at least not for most
people. It is, for the overwhelming majority of people in town, 18%
(10% increase in assessment (limited by the homestead tax credit), 7%
increase in tax rate on that higher value, plus a little math ((home
value * 1.10)*1.07) gives you 18% total).

While "normal people" will pay 18%, those who hold real estate as
investments -- the owners of rental property and commercial property
-- will pay more (enough to bring the average increase up to the 27%
mentioned earlier). These are people who should be able (as good
business people) to take care of themselves. The few families who
bought houses in town in the last year will also see a more than 18%
increase in their taxes.  (We are guessing this is roughly 30
families, though a real-estate agent could easily answer the
question.) The amount of increase they see depends on the
circumstances of their individual assessments - no easy
generalizations can be made here.

So why the 18% increase?

(1) The town is paying for much needed town-wide road improvements.
These road improvements have been a long time coming. Those of you
who have been complaining about disintegrating roads, crumbling
curbs, and uneven sidewalks know that the town has, for years, been
applying a patchwork approach to street improvements. The outgoing
council decided to invest in infrastructure improvements that will be
safer, nice to look at, and will make it easier to get around.

But even as we are spending money on improvements now, the outgoing
council and mayor also worked to save the town money a lot of money
over the long term.  By locking in a loan at low interest rates, and
by putting a *large* project out for bid, we as a town have already
saved hundreds of thousands of dollars. Indeed, the town had guessed
around $1.3 million for the initial round of infrastructure repairs,
and the winning bid came in a little under $1 million. That means
that by putting a large project up for bid, we've already SAVED over
$300,000! That's creative problem solving!

But this work does come at a cost. If the town were not paying off
the loan for infrastructure improvements, the tax rate would actually
be 2.5% LOWER than it was last year.  That being said, the council
(including Rob Oppenheim) could see that the repairs were necessary,
and that by doing them as described above, the town could save a lot
of money. For this reason, they voted to perform the road improvements.

(2) The draft budget submitted by Mayor Archer is a composite of the
budgets submitted by each department. As is typical in the federal
budget process, Mayor Archer went to each department and said, "What
do you need?" The department heads submitted their wish lists, and he
put them together (trimming some requests) to create the draft budget.

And now the council, mayor, citizens, and department heads must do
the hard work of balancing expenditures from each department's budget
against revenues. In this way, we will come up with a reasonable
final budget that the town can afford. This means further cutting
from each department's draft budget in a way that still allows them
to do their job.

For these reasons, we too think it is critical that citizens come to
the budget hearing and help the council, mayor, and department heads
to understand our priorities.  But, we need to bear in mind that
there are tough choices to be made.

So read the budget. Look at the entries under each department. Think
about the repercussions of cutting different expenses.

Do you want our police to patrol more? Do you want public works to
maintain our public spaces? Do you want our town employees to be paid
a living wage?

Each decision will have real financial consequences. Let's work
together to figure out what the best choices are for the town.

	Alan & Sarah