[RP TownTalk] re proposed property tax increase -- an apology (and some considerable relief!)

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Tue May 22 18:02:20 UTC 2007

i apologize for inadvertently giving out wrong information at last
night's town meeting.  having done a hasty,
trying-to-get-to-the-meeting-on-time calculation, i misinterpreted our
State of Maryland Assessment Notice, and thus came up with a number
exactly triple of what it should have been:  19% rather than 57%.  you
can imagine that we are as relieved as anyone to know that it's not
57%!

one reason i was so hurried in doing that calculation was it took me a
long time to decipher the semiannual "Consolidated Tax Bill for Tax
Year Jul 1, 2006 to Jun 30, 2007" statement.
the reason for that being that some of the numbers on that statement
are annual while others are semiannual -- and they kind of leave it up
to the reader to figure that out. so it took awhile to make sense of
it.

when i did i was able to determine that our Town of Riverdale Park
taxes make up almost exactly 33% of our total property tax bill.  (PG
County's portion is 41%, and the remaining 26% is made up of the other
various taxing jurisdictions, the largest portion of which is Park &
Planning)

so the proposed increase that we are now discussing will affect
roughly one-third of our bill.  i have some questions about the
entire, overall process, but i will save those until i have gathered
more and better information.

--
~~
Map of Riverdale Park MD Trolley Hiker-Biker Trail and Cafritz Property