[RP TownTalk] no vote will be taken at the budget hearing

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Wed May 23 14:36:00 UTC 2007

Nancy and all,

Where we are, as I see it, is the outline of the issues we have to grapple
with for next year has been laid out.  In order to continue services at
approximately the same level as this year we will need approximately $500K
in resources, either through: 1) spending reserves; 2)taxation;  or  3)
trimming "fat" from expenditures.  Usually the council looks for the
trimming first and then sets the tax rate and appropriation of reserves as
are needed, but that is tradition not code.

There will be a series of Finance/Budget meetings over the coming weeks to
create a budget that the Council can pass.  The first two scheduled meetings
will be tomorrow, Thursday the 24th at 7:30 and the following Thursday the
31st at 7:30.  The Council Work Session on Tuesday the 29 and the
Legislative Session on Monday June 4th may be followed by Finance meetings
too, but no such meetings have yet been scheduled. All of these meetings are
of course open to the public, and will be posted in order to help residents
follow the proceedings.

There is a clear advantage to the town if we set our tax rate by June 8th,
because the county will then bill and assist in the collection of our
property taxes.   We will therefore make a strong effort to have at least a
clear consensus on the overall spending plan by that date; however, because
we now have a fully staffed General Government we can do the tax collection
ourselves if the time constraints prove to confining.

The town must pass its completed budget no later than June 30.

Best wishes,

Vern

On 5/23/07, Nancy Augustine <nya_md at verizon.net> wrote:

> I was on my way back from a business trip, on Monday night, and couldn't
> attend the meeting. How can I catch up with what happened and where the
> Council is in the discussion?

Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland