[RP TownTalk] RIverdale Park, home of the second-fastest real estate assessments in the area

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed May 30 02:08:54 UTC 2007

Alice had posted here the link to the state's "constant yield rate" spreadsheet:
http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/stats/cytr.htm )

Calculating the change in "assessment base" from '06 to '07, you find that
Given that RP has the second greatest increase of all these towns in
our area.  Specifically, here's the list:

TOWN - INCREASE IN ASSESSMENT BASE
Mount Rainier 	18.7%
Riverdale Park 	18.2%
Hyattsville 	17.8%
Brentwood 	16.6%
New Carrollton 	12.9%
Edmonston 	12.9%
Greenbelt 	12.8%
College Park 	12.4%
Bladensburg 	12.1%
Takoma Park	11.8%
Cheverly 	11.3%
University Park 	10.2%

I'm curious if anyone has an explanation or hypothesis as to why our
base grew faster than surrounding towns?

I'm also interested to hear from Mayor Archer and council members on
why, given that we've seen an increase in our assessment base greater
than in any of our neighboring towns save Mt. Rainier, and given that
Hyattsville, College Park and University Park have been able to hold
their rates at last year's level -- why do we need to raise our rates
this year?

There's more on this at:
http://rpcoffeehouse.blogspot.com/2007/05/rp-town-budget-did-you-know.html

--