[RP TownTalk] Worms to Taxes et cetera Re: TownTalk Digest, Vol 10, Issue 64

Jack Randall Jones jrjones at mail.smart2.net
Thu May 31 05:18:45 UTC 2007

>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 08:44:19 -0400
>From: "Charity Fox" <charity.fox at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] tick control?
>To: towntalk at riverdale-park.org
>
>Sarah,
>The website Clean Air Gardening has a variety of organic pest control
>options.  We used their Green Light Organic Lawn and Garden Spray last week
>and noticed a huge reduction in insects in our backyard.  It's made to deal
>with a wide variety of insects, including mosquitos, ants, and ticks, and it
>should be safe for your cats.  Plus, their customer service is great if you
>have any questions.
><http://cleanairgardening.com/gardenpests.html>
>
>Charity Fox
>Ravenswood

Dear Charity and Nancy,

The problem of overdoing things is a greater harm than if it is not
"Green", "Natural" or "Organic". On my 10 year tenure on the Maryland
Organic Certification Advisory Committee we had to on several
occasions had to revise the rules. For instance...Rotenone eventually
had to have added to the violations of the code "programmed use", the
original intent was one time use on a problem infestation...but when
I was on farm inspections i noticed that there were some where there
were no insects of any kind in the field, like in sterile. On further
inquiry we found that the farmers were spraying Rotenone every two
weeks on their fields. Not what we had in mind for an organic program.

Another sample of too much, a USDA Grad School Biochem Professor
relating an unrequited love story from Chicago...the rejected male
committed suicide by drinking 21 liters of water in a 24 hour period
and died of edema.

And the deadliest toxins are made in Nature by our many Animal, Plant
and Bacterial Friends.

Also to keep your soil in good shape hang on to as much organic
material as you can, compost it to control weeds unless of course you
like where all your plants are...then you do not have weeds, feed the
soil and it will grow. The worms love leaves, grass, and decaying
wood. One of the best things ever happened to my yard was about 25-30
years ago the Town ran out of room to dump the leaf collection. When
I heard about it I told them they could dump the leaves on my yard. I
ended up with between 80-100 cubic yards of leaves. I used them for
mulch every where and mowed them up fine to sift in to the grass. In
about 4-5 years my topsoil went from 1 inch to 9-12 inches with a
nice population of worms et cetera. When it rains to saturation and
then stops, water continues to drain for 3-5 days after my neighbor's
lawns have gone dry.

Nothing to excess, moderation in everything.

Jack

>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 09:23:22 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Nancy Augustine <nya_md at verizon.net>
>Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] tick control?
>To: towntalk at riverdale-park.org
>
>But wouldn't an insecticide also kill off the beneficial insects?
>I've avoided using any because I want to keep my worms and (very
>few) ladybugs, and don't much want to kill off the other
>multi-legged creatures that live in my yard.
>
>Nancy A.
>(Resident Granola)
>
>=====================
>From: Charity Fox <charity.fox at hotmail.com>
>Date: 2007/05/29 Tue AM 07:44:19 CDT
>To: towntalk at riverdale-park.org
>Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] tick control?
>
>Sarah,
>The website Clean Air Gardening has a variety of organic pest control
>options.  We used their Green Light Organic Lawn and Garden Spray last week
>and noticed a huge reduction in insects in our backyard.  It's made to deal
>with a wide variety of insects, including mosquitos, ants, and ticks, and it
>should be safe for your cats.  Plus, their customer service is great if you
>have any questions.
><http://cleanairgardening.com/gardenpests.html>
>
>Charity Fox
>Ravenswood

Dear Dwight,

My guess is that the other towns started rising in the bubble sooner
than Riverdale did and in the past year as everything was getting up
to the top of the bubble Riverdale and Hyattsville had more of a
change to make to catch up, hence the difference.

Also are these incorporated town results or zip codes...I am thinking
zip codes as the Hyattsville zip codes run over past Lanham and to
Takoma Park. If it were just towns I am more suprised to see
Hyattsville there.

On the increase in taxes TANSTAAFL.

Jack