[RP TownTalk] code and vendors discussion

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Nov 5 05:20:19 UTC 2007

Marc,

Yes, there is a lot of nuance to what happened in New York.  There was
also a nationwode truce between the Bloods and Crips (two major gangs)
that led to a reduction in deadly turf fights.  Of course, others
argue that the gangs were spurred to a truce in part because of rising
enforcement and willingness to incarcerate.  It's always hard to
separate cause and effect in the social sciences.

Still, I think that Riverdale Park looks shabby.  Since our town is
full of amazing people, I think the look of the town should better
reflect our potential.  And I absolutely do believe that hat sprucing
things up could have many secondary benefits, say in the ability to
attract good businesses.  In the case of gang graffiti, immediate
cleanup is absolutely essential.  Public Works does well on that one
when they are notified about the graffiti.

I don't have much patience with the argument that the town is already
doing everything possible on quality-of-life issues.  I join with
Bruce Wernek and many others in advocating for greater enforcement of
existing laws.