[RP TownTalk] Metro/Belcrest

Bill Carr WCarr at Greenheron.net
Mon Nov 5 21:16:24 UTC 2007

As an former construction guy, I'm certain  there must be a construction
contract on file for the project, with a Scope of Work that should
include details of _all_ requirements on the part of the Town, County,
Metro, etc. Once that contract went in force, deviating "requests" of
the constructor should be handled as official Change Orders, presented
and validated in accordance with the project procedure on same.

I would hope, even in Prince George's County, that the contract would
include specifics on town and county participation in the Change Order
approval cycles. If Mr. Abrahamian or the county Construction Manager,
who should work for him or his equivalent, is unfettered in this regard,
obviously the level of any complaint would need to be raised.

The deteriorating condition of Belcrest prior to the narrowing was
clearly unacceptable; I had hoped, however, that we were dealing with a
temporary situation. Now we've got a public road  severely defaced by
construction activity, total lack of protection for pedestrians, and an
unsafe, unmarked, and completely unprofessional lane change that seems
certain to promote accidents. especially during rush hour.

It's never been clear to me whether Riverdale Park residents have much
of a say with regard to this project. If the town has any legal status,
it is clearly the town that should be complaining. Unless the contract
was particularly badly let, though, the actual complaint shouldn't be
that difficult.

If Vernon or Alice should happen to read this, could you please clarify
Riverdale Park's official role in this project? Is there a formal
complaint procedure for the town? If not, who should the focus of
complaints be? Campos? Olson?