[RP TownTalk] Presentation on attracting and keeping independent business

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:42:11 UTC 2007

Friends and neighbors,

I want to make you aware of the following:

Route 1 Growth & Route 1 Communities present

Stacy Mitchell on Connecting Retail & Growth to Community

Wednesday, November 28
7 pm Refreshments, 7:30 pm Talk & Discussion
Hyattsville City Hall, 4310 Gallatin St., Hyattsville, Maryland
301-985-5000
As growth in the Route 1 corridor accelerates, what can we learn from other
communities? How can we avoid be-coming Anyplace USA? Can we use retail as a
catalyst for good community development? How can local governments avoid
retail sprawl and build a vibrant local business economy? From innovative
small-business initiatives to cutting-edge land-use policies, Mitchell
offers communities concrete strategies that can create a more prosperous and
sustainable future.

Stacy Mitchell advises numerous small business groups, elected officials and
community organizations and has helped dozens of cities and towns strengthen
locally owned businesses and contribute to the local economy through new
land use and economic development policies. Mitchell is a senior researcher
with the New Rules Project, a program of the Institute for Local
Self-Reliance. She edits the Hometown
Advantage Bulletin, chairs the American Independent Business Alliance and is
the author of Big-Box Swindle and Hometown Advantage.

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland