[RP TownTalk] Fwd: banning plastic bags: victory and defeat

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:09:51 UTC 2007

I feel ok posting the following because YESTERDAY we instituted a
reusable shopping bag system in our house. After all these years.
Seriously, though, how can you expect a guy who forgets where his car
is to remember to take the reusable bags with him to shop? You see the
problem.  The obvious solution is to return the bags immediately to
the car after unloading the groceries.  (Ask me next week how this is
working...)  But I digress...

The good news: Somebody has done it!

S.F. FIRST CITY TO BAN PLASTIC SHOPPING BAGS
Supermarkets and chain pharmacies will have to use recyclable or
compostable sacks
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/03/28/MNGDROT5QN1.DTL

The bad news: Closer to home, it failed in Annapolis:

Annapolis Kills Plastic Bag Ban Proposal

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1107/474141.html

"The Annapolis city council has killed a proposal to ban retail use of
plastic bags.

Instead, a bill that calls for a comprehensive study of the bags'
impact was introduced."

I guess Riverdale Park needs a grocery store before it makes sense to
ban plastic bags!  (Seriously, this would seem more appropriate as a
county-wide or state measure, rather than local, don't you think?)

Dwight

--
"A budget is a moral document." --Jim Wallis

Riverdale Park Community Wiki
http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/