[RP TownTalk] local environmental group

Alice Ewen Walker alice at ewenwalker.com
Fri Oct 5 18:14:57 UTC 2007

I think people take part in volunteer activities for fellowship,
education, inspiration, as well as to do something helpful.  So,
whether it's litter, or planting trees, or encouraging people to ride
bicycles more, or doing youth education at our elementary school, I
really think it is all good, and would be a benefit to the community.
See what gets the group most inspired/active and go from there.

- Alice

BTW, would anyone be interested in participating in this water quality
monitoring activity this Sunday? See the contact info below.

Here's the info:

Water Quality Monitoring Project
Sunday October 7
Learn to take water samples and find out what about our river from our
own local resident/engineer, Michael Sevener....

Between September 18 and October 18, the Water Environment Federation
and the International Water Association are inviting people around the
world to make a checkup of the health of their local rivers and lakes.
By performing simple, yet scientifically valid testing, you can learn
about the health of our local streams and lakes. In Riverdale Park,
longtime resident and environmental engineer Michael Sevener has
offered to show a group of interested people how to test the health of
the Northwest Branch of the Anacostia River.

To organize this event we would like to gather at least ten people.
Depending on how many people ssign up, we can share the equipment
among a number of groups so that everyone gets a chance for "hands on"
use of the simple test kit. The results will be shared with people
from around the Earth. The testing will be done on the Northwest
Branch of the Anacostia River at the Riverdale Road bridge over the
river. This will make it easy for everyone to get there. The proposed
date is Sunday, October 7.

This activity is open to all residents of Riverdale Park, of any age,
from 7 to 97. Children should be accompanied by an adult.

Michael has offered to donate the testing materials. He speaks Spanish
fluently and can explain the whole procedure and results to Spanish
speakers too.

If you are interested please contact your local councilperson or send
an email message to Michael at michael.sevener at gmail.com.