[RP TownTalk] What questions do you have for Kennedy Smith (Oct 8th presentation on development of Town Center)?

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 17:48:32 UTC 2007

I'm looking forward to hearing Kennedy Smith's presentation to the
town on Monday.
Below, I've listed just a couple of questions I'd very much like to
hear her thoughts on.

1. Would the opening up and development of the Cafritz property --
which they say will include 1500-2000 new residential units -- that
will be connected to our Town Center by an extension of Rhode Island
Ave (or Maryland Ave., as it is properly known I guess) connection,
but that will also include its own significant retail offerings
(they're saying 15-20 stores) be a plus or a minus for our Town
Center?  Specifically, would the increase in potential customer base
(and added "connectivity" via the new street) make it easier to
attract and keep ( i.e., make profitable) businesses in our historic
town center? or would the new available retail space suck up all the
potential new businesses for years and years to come, leaving our Town
Center as it is?

2. Assuming 15-20 new businesses and 1500-2000 new residential units
to the north, what things could Town do with Town Center that would
enhance the likelihood of drawing new tenants, and what things that
the Town might do would be a total waste of time and money?

--
Riverdale Park Community Wiki
"Build it -- and stay awhile"