[RP TownTalk] What questions do you have for Kennedy Smith (Oct 8thpresentation on development o

Marc Molino mmolino54 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 01:00:19 UTC 2007

Those are great questions, Dwight--I hope Mrs. Smith answers them!

I'm very curious as to what she sees as realistic for the town center's development in terms of number and type of businesses. Would it be better to have fewer but larger businesses? Are we better off having niche-type businesses (hobby stores, used books, etc.--the type of stores people purposely seek out, not so much happen to pass by) compared to more general types or chains (if those are even feasible)? I would like to know what she suggests in terms of what the town can do to attract viable and interesting businesses.

-Marc M

----------------------------------------> Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:48:32 -0400> From: dwightrholmes at gmail.com> To: towntalk at riverdale-park.org> Subject: [RP TownTalk] What questions do you have for Kennedy Smith (Oct 8th presentation on development of Town Center)?>> I'm looking forward to hearing Kennedy Smith's presentation to the> town on Monday.> Below, I've listed just a couple of questions I'd very much like to> hear her thoughts on.>> 1. Would the opening up and development of the Cafritz property --> which they say will include 1500-2000 new residential units -- that> will be connected to our Town Center by an extension of Rhode Island> Ave (or Maryland Ave., as it is properly known I guess) connection,> but that will also include its own significant retail offerings> (they're saying 15-20 stores) be a plus or a minus for our Town> Center? Specifically, would the increase in potential customer base> (and added "connectivity" via the new street) make it easier to> attract and keep ( i.e., make profitable) businesses in our historic> town center? or would the new available retail space suck up all the> potential new businesses for years and years to come, leaving our Town> Center as it is?>> 2. Assuming 15-20 new businesses and 1500-2000 new residential units> to the north, what things could Town do with Town Center that would> enhance the likelihood of drawing new tenants, and what things that> the Town might do would be a total waste of time and money?>>> --> Riverdale Park Community Wiki> "Build it -- and stay awhile"> http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/> _______________________________________________> TownTalk mailing list> To post to the list, send mail to TownTalk at riverdale-park.org> TownTalk-request at riverdale-park.org is for automated subscription processing only> http://riverdale-park.org/mailman/listinfo/towntalk>> For more information about Riverdale Park, visit http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us