[RP TownTalk] Fwd: students need housing for Nov climate change conference

Rob Oppenheim oppenheim at email.com
Fri Oct 26 19:13:28 UTC 2007

Forwarded from UP email list...

--- Original Message ---
Sent: Fri, 26 Oct 2007
Subject: HELP! students need housing for climate change conference
Steve Hill wrote:

There is a huge conference of student environmental activists
that will be taking place in College Park Nov. 2 through Nov. 5.

Its called Power Shift 2007 http://powershift07.org "Youth from
across the country will convene in Washington, DC to change the
climate on global warming in the United States. Together, we will
create a shift in the fight for a clean and just energy future."

I [Steve Hill] am hoping that my neighbors can help me house a
few students [for a few days during this event].

Laura ([Steve's] daughter who is a sophomore at Macalester
College in St. Paul MN) is responsible for recruiting and
coordinating the involvement of students from the Twin Cities
for this big event. She called me today to let me know that
they have secured the donation of two charter buses and she
will be bringing 80 students to this gathering.

This started out as a request for me to house a couple of
students that she would fly out here with; then they realized
that they could bring more people for the same cost if they
drove, which then morphed into so many people driving that
environmentally it made more sense to charter a bus, to hey,
we got a donation of two buses and 80 of us are coming.
Which is just a few more than I can house on my own.

Because she is my girl and I get so few opportunities to take
care of something for her (well, except for the tuition thing),
I told her not to worry and that I'd help find housing for
everyone.

I have been assured that they don't need to be fed--they just
need floor space for sleeping. f you can house a few students,
please let me know. [contact info below]

If you have neighbors who might house a few students, please let
them know. If you have little mailing lists that might generate a
few volunteers, please consider sharing this with them.

If people want to help house students from around the country,
they can also sign up from a link on http://powershift07.org/
(that won't help me with my 80 from Minnesota, but it will help
other activists from around the country).

Thanks.
Steve

Steve Hill
Service Employees International Union