[RP TownTalk] Sell It From Your Lawn But Stay Out of the Streets...

Yorkedial at aol.com Yorkedial at aol.com
Mon Oct 29 18:02:51 UTC 2007

Roland, Lou and the rest of you...

If selling flowers in the street is illegal, why do we frequently see men
standing in three lanes of 410 highway traffic holding firefighter's boots and
begging for contributions? Doesn't this constitute a huge safety issue as they
 bob and weave between oncoming vehicles?

I see irony here when the "volunteer" ambulance  is dispatched to an accident
scene to retrieve someone just begging for  this horror to happen. Society
used to be embarrassed by begging and  beggars. This sends a message of
Riverdale Park and Riverdale being down  and out. Arts District or no Arts District.
And this ugly and very dangerous  practice is not exclusive to RP. I see it in
Lanham and on New York Avenue  NE.

What's next, priests from downtrodden parishes in the streets  begging on a
Sunday afternoon to supplement light collection plates?

E. Gad Zooks!

Jeffrey Yorke

PS: You'll not likely read an editorial on this topic in The Washington  Post
since that paper is also often sold by in-street vendors.

In a message dated 10/29/2007 1:37:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,