[RP TownTalk] Town Center of Dreams

Marc Molino mmolino54 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 10 21:12:27 UTC 2007

I like the idea of collectively organizing, but in the case of the Field of
Dreams, there was weight behind the effort: public property being rushed to
sale w/out really getting public input. In this case, we've got property
that has already been sold to a developer, a developer who will continue to
use the same quote he did in the Gazette saying that the properties were
vacant for 15 years before he bought them and no one wants to rent there. Do
we have any facts to support our position such as commercial lease/rent
prices that are high for this area? Potential businesses whose interest has
been ignored or rejected by Jemal?

It seems like our interests would be better served by getting a group of
people and sitting on the doorstep of a business we do want to come to our
town or aggressively marketing our town--I'm hoping the economic develop
consultant also has some concrete ideas when she gives her presentation on
the 17th.

Or perhaps doing both--putting the public spotlight on Jemal and actively
putting our town out there. I know the marketing part is in the plans giving
various talks I've had with town reps, but could someone who knows more
about economic development chime in as to how this process usually works?
More often than not, do businesses come knocking on a small town's door or
do town's offer incentives/rewards to lure them in? How much is luck and
timing, and how much is hard work and self-marketing? Other than Old Town
Pets, what is the last new business that opened up in the Town Center?

-Marc Molino
4801 Queensbury