[RP TownTalk] Town Center of Dreams

JayRite at aol.com JayRite at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 20:18:58 UTC 2007

Bruce,
I always find myself admiring and cheering on your spirit. I always love  the
passionate ones.
But I'd like to offer some forethought to your recent sentiments on a
"Field-of-Dreams-like" approach to this matter.

If you're going to do that, you must focus.
We are all clearly disappointed that buildings have been vacant for 20+
years, (not sure how accurate that is as I've only been here for 10). But be
careful who you choose to do battle with. "Jemalville" is catchy, but inaccurate
as a target of our 20+ year angst.

Douglas Development did not acquire the properties that they own until as
recently as 2002-2003. [only 4-5 years ago, according to the The Maryland -
National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC)]. I know we all  have had
very high hopes that they would have turned those properties into  Shangrila,
by now. But the fact of the matter is that they haven't yet, and  until the
economy itself, generally turns to the better, probably won't right  away.

Can they lower the rent? Sure! But, I ask you, what kind of business  will
that bring in? I'm sure if you put enough pressure on the developer they  may
give in. But be careful what you wish for. We may end up with a Pawn Shop, a
check cashing place, laundry mat, etc...
You thought that vacant buildings were a nuisance, believe me, it can  be
much worse. If vacancy means holding out for the things that we really  want,
long term. I'm willing to wait a little while longer.

Apply pressure gently, and accurately.
Not advice, just an observation.
Jay Wright

PS
By the way, I can't remember who posted putting art displays in the vacant
windows, but that was a pretty cool idea, I have to say.

In a message dated 9/10/2007 3:27:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,