[RP TownTalk] Town Center of Dreams

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:15:49 UTC 2007

> the impression I get is that the MUTC guideline are the driver in the decision process

The MUTC guidelines have some parts that are law, and must be
followed, and other parts that are recommendations. Many of the design
standards, e.g., "no barbed wire fences" are law. Building use, is for
the most part "recommended" but not required. You can find the use
recommendations in the "Development and Design Concepts" section of
the plan (see p. 23, in particular) on-line at:

http://www.mncppc.org/cpd/riverdaleplan.htm (as Roland posted yesterday).

> It's a slow incremental process, which is not based on the MUTC guidelines,
> rather some type of economic development plan, which to my knowledge
> doesn't exist.  The MUTC guidlines are simply a framework for development
> and have nothing to do with the plan for the development.

The guidelines were intended to be flexible in regard to the *types*
of businesses allowed. (They are not flexible about the building
standards; deviations from the standard require a formal exception
from the town, the county council, and Parks & Planning.)

It's my understanding that Kennedy Smith was hired to help us create a
vision for the economic development. Everyone who is interested in
this vision should make sure to attend her presentation on September
17, 2007 at 8:00 p.m. in Town Hall.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland