[RP TownTalk] Town Center of Dreams

Alan K. Thompson twacks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 17:20:28 UTC 2007

To clarify Sarah's post, the MUTC zoning law actually *does* have some
significant restrictions as to use, which you can find starting on
page 85 of the book (on line at
http://www.mncppc.org/cpd/PDFs/Riverdale/Appendices.pdf).  There are
several levels of use: permitted (P), "PA" and "PB" which I believe
are "permitted as an accessory use, but not as the main use", special
exception (SE), special permit (SP), and prohibited (X).  I don't know
the exact details of the differences between PA and PB, or SE and SP,
but I believe that both SE and SP require action by the town council
and planning board before being allowed (just like deviations from the
mandatory architectural standards do).  "Gas station" is an SE use,
and "Liquor store" is an SP use.  "Wholesale dry cleaning plant" is
prohibited (X).

These restrictions are what regulate uses in the buildings not covered
by the covenants Bruce mentioned (they regulate use there, as well,
but I believe the covenants are somewhat more restrictive).

Alan

On 9/12/07, Sarah Wayland <sarah.wayland at gmail.com> wrote:
> The MUTC guidelines have some parts that are law, and must be
> followed, and other parts that are recommendations. Many of the design
> standards, e.g., "no barbed wire fences" are law. Building use, is for
> the most part "recommended" but not required. You can find the use
> recommendations in the "Development and Design Concepts" section of
> the plan (see p. 23, in particular) on-line at:

(snip)