[RP TownTalk] Kennedy Smith postponed to Oct 8 - Cafritz meeting this Sat and Tues

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Thu Sep 13 06:33:13 UTC 2007

The Kennedy Smith presentation was postponed to Monday, Oct. 8, 2007, 8 pm, Town Hall.

The other big news is to remind everyone of the upcoming Cafritz development
presentations that will be given this Saturday, Sept 15, 10 am, with a repeat on
Tuesday evening, Sept 18, 7 pm. Both at Riverdale Elementary School.

---

Who is Kennedy Smith?

Ms Smith is the economic development consultant, hired by the town last
year to guide town center development.

Her company name is CLUE and their web site: http://www.cluegroup.com/ says...

[quote]

The Community Land Use and Economics (CLUE) Group is a specialized
consulting firm that helps communities create vibrant, dynamic downtowns
and neighborhoods.

We help local and state governments, developers, and nonprofits design
innovative downtown economic development strategies, cultivate independent
businesses, recycle historic buildings, attract young talent, strengthen
downtown management programs, and craft planning and land use tools
that mitigate sprawl and stimulate town center development.

[end quote]

What are the Cafritz presentations about?

The Cafritz property is said to be the largest undeveloped property inside the beltway.
It is located in RP on Route One. It is the wooded area north of the Post Office
processing center and runs back to about the rail road tracks.

Our County Councilman Eric Olson writes...

[Quote]

I wanted to let you know that the next round of public meetings will
be held this Saturday and this coming Tuesday at Riverdale Elementary
School (see information below).  The Cafritz family will be sharing
initial concepts for their proposed development in Riverdale Park at
this meeting and I encourage you to please attend and share your views.

This round of meetings (Saturday and Tuesday are intended as
identical meetings) will not feature the "stations" of previous meetings,
but instead will have a 20 minute presentation, followed by question
and answer/discussion period with the community audience.
This will be a good opportunity for community dialogue about the
proposal. I apologize that I will not be able to attend the Saturday
session (but my staff will be there), although I intend to be there on Tuesday.

When
Saturday, September 15, 2007: 10:00am-Noon
Tuesday, September 18, 2007: 7:00pm-9:00pm

Where
Riverdale Elementary School
5006 Riverdale Road
Riverdale Park, MD 20737

The Cafritz website (www.cafritzpop.com) now includes a PDF of
presentations as well as comments from the previous community forums.
I know that everyone was not able to make all the meetings, especially
the last session in July, so I wanted to let you know that the
information is now available.  Please also send any comments on the
project to the Cafritzes through their website (feel free to also copy
me and/or my legislative aide, Dannielle Glaros on your comments:
dmglaros at co.pg.md.us

I hope you can attend, and look forward to strong community
involvement in this and other potential development projects in our
area.

East Campus

Speaking of other projects, there is a community process that has just
started regarding the redevelopment of "East Campus" at the University
of Maryland, 38 acres located at the intersection of Paint Branch
Parkway and Route 1.  The next meeting is on September 20th, at the
Atrium in the Stamp Student Union Building starting at 7:30 pm.
The list of meetings is at:
http://www.eastcampus.umd.edu/InitEvent.cfm?flag=u
and more information can be found at: www.eastcampus.umd.edu

Thank you,