[RP TownTalk] Town Center of Dreams

bruce.wernek at mindspring.com bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 13 12:31:41 UTC 2007

Marc

I don't think the Town should get into the real estate business unless it's a last resort.  As I said in a previous email, the expertise does not exist at Town Hall.  Who is going to lease the property, manage the remaining rehap, build to suit for the perspective tenants, manage the insurance, taxes, rent collection, litigation, on and on?

You say we don't have control, I don't agree.  We have a tremendous amount of control.  Why, because Jemal has made commitments in writing to rehab the properties in the Town Center which he has not completed.  He improved the appearence of the facade, but not the interiors.  The buildings are just shells.  I think the Town could take him to task on this.

You have illustrated a very important point and I don't think you are even aware of it.  The point is the attitude of the citizens in this Town regarding this situation.  Feelings of helplessness and lack of control.  I assure you Marc we are not helpless and we can truly get what we want.  All we need to do stop standing around staring at the ground and demand that something be down.  If it means walking around in front of the Town Center with signs, calling your councilperson, the mayor, senator, state representative, the Washington Post, CBS News, whatever, are any of these things hard to do?  If enough people take action in a conserted planned effort, things will happen.  Oh there's that plan thing again.  We don't have any kind of plan after all of this time.

I'll see if I can spin something up and throw it out there for comment.

Bruce