[RP TownTalk] Town Center - Dreams

OurDollMom at aol.com OurDollMom at aol.com
Thu Sep 13 13:26:53 UTC 2007

Regarding image of our Town Center, one
concept that I think needs to change is:

When I first got my doll shop, I had dreams
of retail sales from both my customer base
& from foot traffic.  Taylor Wells had dreams
of foot traffic for his exclusive antique shop
& his passion for promoting art work which
requires humans to come & the atmosphere
of a Town Cntr to woo those coming so
they could return home & say to their friends
WOW.  Key here is the word WOO.

When the powers to be have the idea that
we will give you a sign with lights at the
entrance to our town with all the Historic
Town Center businesses listed for #410
& Rt 1 to see - & then with a smile said:

BUT WE NEED AN ANCHOR
BUSINESS BEFORE WE CAN DO THE
SIGN.

Think about how that sounded to Taylor
and me, Second Time Around or the
Beauty Shop whoever was there, Book
Shop????  Those words said YOU, our
little businesses, are not good enough.
YOU are too little.  YOU are too
insignificant to warrant a lighted sign
UNTIL THE BIG BOYS COME IN.

Here we are choking for foot traffic,
dying for recognition - that concept hurt
us so much. One by one we went down
& left.

We needed ambiance in looks & we
needed that darn sign to say: Yes, you -
YOU LITTLE GUYS ARE IMPORTANT
TO US.  That is what I mean by what the
town can do for us, the little soul.

The Town Center needs ambiance from
Box Woods, Flowers, Murals/art in the
vacant windows, Not a spec of dirt/leaves
anywhere, no tall grass around the tree
trunks - and our great lighted sign with
pride at our town entrance Rt 1 & 410
Saying like:
    Welcome to Historic Riverdale
    Town Center

listing each our names big enough to see
wizzing by on the roads.

This shows respect to us, we are valued,
public welcome come spend your pennies,
new little businesses that fit into our historic
district - welcome - you are valued too.

And our sign should show the reverence,
pride we have in being Historic with boxwoods,
flowers, whatever a little Mt Vernon or little
Williamsburg would use (to compliment our
Mansion).

Also if you wish to attract attention to the
Town Center from the standing still traffic on
the bridge - somebody once said a sign on
a tall pole - well maybe if it could look the part
but I think of lighted pole signs belonging to
strip malls, plazas etc.  We would have to
brainstorm on this.