[RP TownTalk] Cafritz update

Kate Kelly kate_kelly at mac.com
Sun Sep 16 16:46:44 UTC 2007

Greetings, neighbors. Kate and Joe Kelly here.

We'd be interested to hear what the elected officials are thinking.
Vernon? Alice? It's pretty quiet from your corner of the classroom.

> one observation: based on the sample of people who turned out this
> morning
> and expressed their views, one would have to conclude that
> university park
> and college park (calvert hills) residents love their communities
> *just* the
> way they are, whereas we riverdalians long for the kinds of changes
> the
> Cafritz folks are talking about -- and appreciate the way they are
> going
> about it.

The emotional perspective: We wonder why every community must be the
same? Silver Spring should be Silver Spring, Bethesda should be
Bethesda. Paris should be Paris. We like Riverdale Park. It's quiet
most of the time, and it's close to lots of useful and interesting
places. It is easy to get to and from. Just because we go to a doctor
sometimes doesn't mean we need to live at the hospital.

Now, logic: Cafritz's development WILL destroy 38 acres of oxygen
production capacity. It WILL add traffic. It WILL take 4 to 6 years
to build. It WILL add students to an already overburdened school system.

Don't be fooled: The Riverdale Park Town Center should be developed
to benefit the citizens of Riverdale Park. This development won't do
that, and it might even destroy what's there now.

Now, be careful what you wish for: Cafritz's team speaks about the
exciting plans for the U.S. Route 1-Md. 410 intersection. If the
magic includes an overpass, just imagine what that will do to the
town. If it includes access to the Cafritz site via Rhode Island
Avenue, the town will suffer immeasurably.

Almost forgot, the last emotional point: When we look across our back
yard, above the trees, we see the sky. The Cafritz team wants us to
see a 6-story parking garage.

Kate and Joe Kelly
4522 Tuckerman Street