[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 14, Issue 12

Brian D. Boettger Brian_Boettger at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 03:37:45 UTC 2007

I've read about thoughts of what "the town" or "the developer" should do to
get or for the businesses in the Town Center. What have the businesses done?
Are they advertising as they need to? Are they growing their businesses?
Increasing foot traffic? There are many aspects that make a business
successful not just location.

The concept of the tourist dollar from tour buses to Riversdale is an
interesting one. An interesting fact from DC's Economic office are that in
DC, for every disposable tourist dollar, DC gets $0.07. Seven Cents. That's
means tourists just are not spending the money as you may suggest in tapping
a market in tour buses. There's a saying among retail tenants in Georgetown
and developers...."Fanny packs, not shopping bags." Meaning tourists are
taking up valuable real estate without buying anything.

Also, even though many spaces are vacant in Town Center, it does not look
derelect (for the most part) and is actually a rather nice area. I'm on the
"low rent businesses bring more low rent businesses" side and I'd rather see
them empty than begin to look like Kenilworth Ave. That would definitely
drive more away than welcome.

Brian