[RP TownTalk] McAlpine

johnferg27 at aol.com johnferg27 at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 04:23:50 UTC 2007

I was very interested to learn of the 1930s paper that has come to light
regarding the former McAlpine site.  The possibility of some early Native
American presence there is not at all surprising.  In the first pages of  the Town
of Riverdale Panorama Book (1920-1970), there are photos of an  extensive
Indian artifact collection that is owned by Robert Fuerst, a resident  of Taylor
Road.  Mr. Fuerst stated that he had found the artifacts in  gardens and yards
around the Town.  (I am sure a copy of that book is in  the Maryland Room at
the Main Branch of the Library and one should also be in  the History Archives
Room at the Town Hall.)

Then, when Riversdale was under restoration, more Indian artifacts were
found -- information and photos of those would be available through the M-NCPPC
Archaeology Department -- Don Creveling is still there and was on-site when
those artifacts were found by the contract archaeology firm who did the work
before the mansion was restored.

Based on that background, a finding of the presence of Native  Americans and
even a gravesite at McAlpine is more than plausible.

I do hope that all of the needed research will be in motion in the near
future to get as much information as can be obtained before any serious
development goes forward.

                                      Ann  Ferguson