[RP TownTalk] Shared Streets - A Way to Calm Traffic in RP?

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Tue Sep 25 18:19:28 UTC 2007

Shared Streets - A Way to Calm Traffic in RP?

Shared streets are designed to be streets full of life,
used by pedestrians, bicyclists, and low-speed motor vehicles;
becoming a public place for people
instead of a single-purpose conduit for cars.
Vehicles may not impede pedestrians, who in turn
may not unreasonably hinder the progress of drivers.

People and bikes are encouraged to use the street.

On shared streets, vehicles are slowed by making their
path wind thru trees, planters, parked cars, benches etc.
The drivers goal becomes finding the way thru the path instead
of shooting down the straight-a-way to the next corner as fast
as possible.

Recently, Jim Coleman posted a pdf about shared streets (aka woonerfs)
to TownTalk. I found it interesting and did some further research and
wrote an article about it on the Riverdale Park Wiki. It has lots more info
and a diagram and pictures. You can read it here:

http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com/page/Streets+For+Living

Please take a look at it, and add your edits and comments to it.

Do you think shared streets would be good for RP?
What streets in RP do you think might work well as a shared street?

Speed humps may be right for some streets, but they are not the only solution.

A look ahead...traffic calming

Mary Donaldson and the traffic committee scored a great opportunity for us.
They invited a renowned professional traffic engineer firm to give the town a
brief presentation on traffic: opportunities, costs and successes.

The event is scheduled for Tues, Nov 6, 2007 at 7 pm, Town Hall.
More information will be posted when we get closer to the event.

I hope that everyone will come out for that! The presentation will look at
several traditional traffic calming techniques (not shared streets).

-Rob