[RP TownTalk] Shared Streets - A Way to Calm Traffic in RP?

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:51:54 UTC 2007

IRob, the more I think about this idea ("shared streets") the more
intrigued I am...  say, for example, we created shared street space on
Lafayette on both sides of Queensbury -- from Dumms' to the tracks on
the south side; incorporating all of Mabel Munch park, Lafayette and
Natoli Pl on the north side, say, up as far as the E-W Hwy overpass...
 also Rhode Island Ave., as it traverses Town Center's parking lot
(also creating public/greenspace around the area where the clock tower
is -- you could capture a lot of greenspace there while losing only
*3* parking places --, and maybe on the S&Js side as well.  Reroute
the buses off of Riverdale onto Queensbury (you could allow buses to
enter Queensbury by the fire station while keeping it "Do not enter"
for all other traffic).  We gain public/community space, make it safer
for pedestrians, and (i'm guessing) discourage quite a bit of the
cut-through traffic, all without a single speed bump or additional
"one way" or "do not enter" sign.

BTW, re the Riverdale Park Community Wiki (http://rpwiki.wetpaint.com)
-- you'll find that anyone can read it -- no login required -- and
anyone can write "comments" on the wiki; to join in on the fun of
creating and editing pages -- which is what we really hope everyone
willl do -- you'll need to create an account for yourself with
wetpaint -- it's their software that runs the site (and, yes, gives
you the free ads on the margins of the page)...  It's a great place to
discuss all kinds of things, including stuff like "shared streets",
what Town Center could and should be, etc. I see the Riverdale Park
Community Wiki as a combination bulletin board, Welcome Wagon, soap
box, scratch pad, photo album, scrap book, file cabinet, encyclopedia,
yellow pages, Rolodex, 'Whole Earth Catalog,' entertainment guide and
community center. This is not, "Build it and they will come." This is
"Build it -- and let's use it!"

(Have you seen the Hyattsville wiki?  It's at: http://www.hyattsvillewiki.com/
They've done some great things over there -- much good information
that is useful to anyone, certainly anyone in our area.)