[RP TownTalk] human pylons

Euniverz at aol.com Euniverz at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 12:44:19 UTC 2007

Ooooo yippee, I'll get to drive my Porsche to work and scream my car around
the pylons and pedestrians and trees in a cloud of exercised sport suspension
and fine Deutche engineering.  It  will make driving at 25 MPH   sooooo much
more entertaining every morning and evening.

Why did we spend a fortune on sidewalks when we would then be encouraging
pedestrians to walk in the streets?

PS, Lafayette across Queensbury is the EXACT route I take to work every
morning and back every evening.  So, you have taken Riverdale Road away for  the
sake of the potential traffic back up in front of the fire house.  Now  there
is a thought of making Lafayette an obstacle course.  Again, as I  have said
before, as your fellow neighbor, I don't appreciate my neighbors  insisting I
drive to work on East/West highway instead of using the streets I  pay taxes to
maintain and repave.

I do assume that when the firehouse goes away, we'll get Riverdale Road  back
for two way traffic.  Then at least I'll be able to get to work on my  own
town roads.  There are other places to put walking plazas that DO NOT  impede
the flow of traffic.  Yes, yes, I know that is the exact intention,  but do you
REALLY want the average driver in this area weaving around trees and  park
benches and pedestrians?  I sure wouldn't want to be a human pylon on  that road.

I like german cars, but this ain't Europe.  Drivers stop for  pedestrians in
Europe.  In America, moving pedestrians are extra  points.

Just providing the other perspective.  Please folks, just leave me a  way to
get out of town and get to work!

Adrianne
Madison and 48th

IRob,  the more I think about this idea ("shared streets") the more
intrigued I  am...  say, for example, we created shared street space on
Lafayette  on both sides of Queensbury -- from Dumms' to the tracks on
the south side;  incorporating all of Mabel Munch park, Lafayette and
Natoli Pl on the north  side, say, up as far as the E-W Hwy overpass...
also Rhode Island Ave., as  it traverses Town Center's parking lot
(also creating public/greenspace  around the area where the clock tower
is -- you could capture a lot of  greenspace there while losing only
*3* parking places --, and maybe on the  S&Js side as well.  Reroute
the buses off of Riverdale onto  Queensbury (you could allow buses to
enter Queensbury by the fire station  while keeping it "Do not enter"
for all other traffic).  We gain  public/community space, make it safer
for pedestrians, and (i'm guessing)  discourage quite a bit of the
cut-through traffic, all without a single  speed bump or additional
"one way" or "do not enter"  sign.