[RP TownTalk] Preparing for the fall

Vinnie Bevivino bevivino at umd.edu
Fri Sep 28 14:59:31 UTC 2007

Community Gardeners:

We've been excited for the break in the weather and the transition
from summer to fall at the Master Peace Community Garden.  While many
gardeners are take their tired tomato plants as a cue to turn in the
shovel until next spring, we are still pushing full force, and we
need your help.  This Saturday, from 9AM  to 2PM, we, along with
university and community volunteers, will be doing a final weeding
and mulching of our perennial beds, removing annual plants that are
done being productive to make way for a cover crop, and planting a
large section of the garden with cooking greens such as kale,
collards, and mustard greens as well as a variety of lettuces.  We
hope to put a significant section of these greens and lettuces under
cover to keep the space productive throughout the winter.

When we get our transplants in the ground and beds cleaned up for the
winter, we have two exciting projects left for the fall.  First, we
are building a greenhouse.  This will be used to grow our transplants
for next spring as well as grow as many vegetables throughout the
winter as we can.  Second, we are expanding the garden.  We are going
to plow the soil to the left of the shed, expanding our growing
capacity to better supply our market next year.  We will plow the
soil and plant a cover crop this year, and then next year start
planting vegetables in the new space.  The new space will be set up
more like a farm than a garden with straight rows and grass paths
along the contour of the terrain.

Finally, we published a brochure for the garden, and we're really
excited about this.  I've attached it in this email, but have reduced
the resolution so the size of the file is smaller.  If you want a
better resolution version, or would like printed copies, let me know
and we can get them to you.

Take care, see you in the garden!

Vinnie Bevivino
Community Garden Educator