[RP TownTalk] New Years News from the Master Peace Community Garden

Vinnie Bevivino bevivino at umd.edu
Fri Feb 1 19:53:28 UTC 2008

Happy New Year from the Master Peace Community Garden:

We're very excited to get started on our new year's growing season,
and have some news to share!

Master Gardener Training - The Engaged University is hosting the
Prince George's County Master Gardeners training, a great community
horticultural class open to the public.  Learn all aspects of
gardening, from fruit tree pruning to soils to weed management, as
well as how to apply that knowledge to your community.  The training
is at the Center for Educational Partnership, where the Master Peace
Community Garden is located, and is every Tuesday evening from March
4th to June 28th.  Learn as much as any University class, for a
fraction of the cost.  For more information, including how to apply
for the class, visit http://mastergardener.umd.edu/local/Prince%20Georges/index.cfm
  .  Registration is limited to 25 people, and we are getting very
close to that number, so if this interests you act quickly.

Community Garden Meetings - We have scheduled a series of meetings to
get your feedback about what you would like to see in the garden.  If
you would like to help us plan or spread the word about these
meetings, let us know.  We hope to use the information gathered at
these meetings to design the youth and family educational programs,
the volunteer programs, as well as our farmers market.  All meetings
will be held at the Center for Educational Partnership (see address
below).  The meeting times and dates are:
	Wednesday February 20th from 6 to 7PM
	Saturday March 1st from 10 to 11AM
	Tuesday March 4th from 6 to 7 PM
	Saturday March 15th from 10 to 11AM

Community Garden Plots -  We are about ready to accept applications
for this growing season's community garden plots.  Last year where we
supplied the space, seeds, water, and tools that neighborhood families
used grow healthy fruits and vegetables for their homes, but didn't
have a set educational program that went along with the community
gardening.  This year, we are developing a Saturday family gardening
educational program that will use these plots.  In addition to last
year's program, this program is designed for neighbors to come
together to learn together about gardening and cooking.  We are
working to develop this program, and as soon as we do, and get
everything translated into Spanish, we will be sending it out.

Volunteer Day -  To celebrate the beginning of the growing season and
the end of the Alternative Spring Break program, in which a team of
University of Maryland student will be helping us expand our garden,
we invite the whole community for a day of volunteering.  Come out on
Saturday March 22nd, from 10 to 3PM, and prepare to have some fun in
our garden.

Internships - Do you know a high school or college student that's
looking for a great internship experience where they can learn the
fundamentals of gardening and community nutrition?  The Master Peace
Community Garden is looking for interns to work with us during the
2008 growing season.  You can download the position's advertisement
from our website, www.engagedu.umd.edu/programs/cnuf/mpg .

Vinnie Bevivino
Community Garden Educator
The Engaged University