[RP TownTalk] Opposing New Liquor Store on Kenilworth Avenue

Alice Ewen Walker alice at ewenwalker.com
Mon Feb 11 03:06:06 UTC 2008

On a couple of the points Dwight asked about...
The liquor board does consider density in the sense that it considers
whether the public is being adequately served or not. In this case, the
existing liquor stores in the area appear to be more than sufficient for the
community's alcohol needs. A legitimate argument for the liquor board is
that there are already many existing off-sale liquor stores that are
adequately serving the public need. It is not necessary to provide another
off-sale license to accommodate the public at this location.

In addition, the county implicitly addresses the issue of density by
limiting the total number of licenses available. The license rules also
recognize that location matters - for instance, you can not site a liquor
store within 1,000 feet of a school. We would not have all these rules if
there had not already been a societal and legal recognition that too many
liquor stores, too close together, is generally a bad idea.

In getting a license, an applicant must show that "the granting of a license
is necessary for the accommodation of the public" and "that the area
surrounding the proposed site does not contain a sufficient number of
licenses". In addition, the liquor commission may consider "that there are
other reasons at the discretion of the Board why the license should not be
issued." (which allows for argument / political pressure)

It is still VERY hard to stop a liquor store from coming in.

I appreciate the counter-arguments, but the potential risk outweighs the
potential reward in this situation. While one less liquor store isn't going
to solve all the problems we have along Kenilworth, one more liquor store
sure won't help.

The Councilmembers from Ward 6, 5, and 4, who represent residents closest to
this area, are extremely concerned about this application. I think we should
support them and hope you'll take action as suggested in the Mayor's letter
to residents.

- Alice Ewen Walker