[RP TownTalk] Opposing New Liquor Store on Kenilworth Avenue

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 03:21:22 UTC 2008

Thanks for the clarifications, Alice.  Given the way the requirements are
written, you would think it would be a slam dunk that they'd get turned
down, on the density issue alone. But i guess slam dunks haven't had such a
good track record in recent years.

Do we know what the owners' plan is? A new restaurant? Expansion of the
Alamo? Might the Board counter-offer an on-premise only license for a
restaurant in view of the public and council opposition along with the
rather stiff hurdles in the requirements for a liquor store that you
outlined?

On Feb 10, 2008 10:06 PM, Alice Ewen Walker <alice at ewenwalker.com> wrote:

> On a couple of the points Dwight asked about...
> The liquor board does consider density in the sense that it considers
> whether the public is being adequately served or not. In this case, the
> existing liquor stores in the area appear to be more than sufficient for the
> community's alcohol needs. A legitimate argument for the liquor board is
> that there are already many existing off-sale liquor stores that are
> adequately serving the public need. It is not necessary to provide another
> off-sale license to accommodate the public at this location.
>
> In addition, the county implicitly addresses the issue of density by
> limiting the total number of licenses available. The license rules also
> recognize that location matters - for instance, you can not site a liquor
> store within 1,000 feet of a school. We would not have all these rules if
> there had not already been a societal and legal recognition that too many
> liquor stores, too close together, is generally a bad idea.
>
> In getting a license, an applicant must show that "the granting of a
> license is necessary for the accommodation of the public" and "that the area
> surrounding the proposed site does not contain a sufficient number of
> licenses". In addition, the liquor commission may consider "that there are
> other reasons at the discretion of the Board why the license should not be
> issued." (which allows for argument / political pressure)
>
> It is still VERY hard to stop a liquor store from coming in.
>
> I appreciate the counter-arguments, but the potential risk outweighs the
> potential reward in this situation. While one less liquor store isn't going
> to solve all the problems we have along Kenilworth, one more liquor store
> sure won't help.
>
> The Councilmembers from Ward 6, 5, and 4, who represent residents closest
> to this area, are extremely concerned about this application. I think we
> should support them and hope you'll take action as suggested in the Mayor's
> letter to residents.
>
> - Alice Ewen Walker
>

> --
Riverdale Park Community Wiki