[RP TownTalk] Schools: was: Opposing New Liquor Store

Sarah Wayland and Alan Thompson twacks at his.com
Mon Feb 11 15:33:26 UTC 2008

Quoting Dwight Holmes <dwightrholmes at gmail.com>:

> While more, smaller schools might in some ways bring improvements
> (there's a huge literature on the optimal size of schools, and school
> districts) how 'bout if the existing public schools were adequately
> funded, so that they could have the capacity needed to do the job we
> ask of them? For example, the average Montgomery County teacher gets
> paid $65,400 -- our average PG County teacher gets paid $53,900.

As a parent with a child in the local school system, I can say that it
is not just about salaries. Issues I see my son's teachers struggling
with include:

(a) Paperwork.

(b) A lack of flexibility in the curriculum that stifles any attempt
at creativity or personalization of education (true across the state,
not just in PG County.)

(c) Hiring. There is currently a hiring freeze in PG County. When
teachers leave for personal reasons, they are not replaced. Instead,
non-certified substitute teachers are brought in to teach.

At my son's school, there are substitute teachers for the entire 5th
grade class, and for one of the two kindergarten classes. (I'm sure
there are more, those are the only classes I'm personally aware of.
(Also, please note that he is not at Riverdale Elementary.)) The
principal has been trying to hire since August, and cannot get
approval from the system.

THIS is the BIGGEST reason, in my experience, for inadequate education
in our school. With budget cuts coming from the state, this is not
going to get better any time soon.

(d) Related to (c) is class size. Bigger classes mean less
personalized education. That means if your kid is struggling, the
teacher cannot devote time to helping your child. Likewise, if your
child needs more challenge, there is no way a teacher can provide that.

We need to address these issues head-on if our public schools are to
regain their reputation as excellent schools.

-Sarah