[RP TownTalk] What a weird primary system this is!

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Feb 11 23:20:29 UTC 2008

Judges are placed on the ballot to provide the citizens with a method
for judical recall.  Judicial recall is one of the direct-democracy
reforms advocated by the Progressive movement around the turn of the
century:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election

Judges have a huge amount of power and autonomy, and their decisions
are often final.  For instance, in many situations, findings of fact
cannot be appealed to a higher court.  The idea behind judicial recall
is that if a judge does something completely outrageous, the citizenry
can remove him from office.

Other major reforms of the Progressive Era included the referendum and
the Australian ballot (secret ballot).   I remember being shocked to
discover that the secret ballot was such a recent innovation.

And interestingly enough, given recent discussion on this list, the
very notion of a primary also dates to the Progressive Era, though it
was a long time before the primary system was widely adopted.  Before
that, the delegates at the conventions were essentially 100%
"superdelegates".