[RP TownTalk] What a weird primary system this is!

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 21:28:30 UTC 2008

Re the point I raised last week about the Maryland system of having us
vote for our presidential choice and the delegates who will actually
select the party nominee in a totally separate vote... I just grabbed
the Riverdale Elementary School precinct and they, I believe, support
my contention that this is a system which predictably doesn't work.
Basically the number of voters selecting delegates on the bottom of
the ballot runs between 62% (McCain) and 86% (Obama) of the number who
selected the candidate at the top of the ballot. In a really tight
election (which we didn't have of course) that could make a
difference. More importantly, it's just silly to do it this way to
begin with.

The election results show that 603 people voted at Riverdale
Elementary -- 522 in the Dem primary and 79 in the Rep primary (I take
it 2 noble citizens voted independent, for judges??)

Let's look at the Dems first:

Of the 522 Dems who voted 100% voted for a presidential candidate (62%
for Obama, 35% for Clinton, 3% for the rest).

Among the 522 Dems, 85% voted in the Congressional race (Hoyer vs
not-a-chance) and a noble 50% voted in the judges contest (I made the
assumption that everyone who voted for (or against) at least one judge
voted for all 5 of them -- it's only an assumption of course).

Now let's look at the relevant question -- how many of the 522 voted
for the delegates who are to vote for their choice of presidential
candidate?

Obama the candidate got 325 votes; it looks like of those 325 only 86%
voted for the female Obama candidates and 82% voted for the Obama male
candidates.

Clinton the candidate got 184 votes; of those 184, 83% apparently
voted for her female delegates and 79% apparently voted for her male
delegates.

It's the same on the Republican side, where apparently 83% of those
who voted for their choice of presidential candidate took the trouble
to vote for the delegates.  Interestingly this number varied
considerably by candidate: McCain delegates were selected by only 62%
of those who voted for the candidate! 85% of Huckabee voters voted for
his delegates and ***133%*** of Paul supporters voted for his
delegates.  (Watch out for a huge Paul surprise at the convention in
September! ;-)  (BTW, 5% of the Rep. votes for delegates went to
uncommitted delegates and 13% went to Giuliani, Romney and Thompson
delegates.)

I think this stinks. Again we're asked to vote for something about
which we're entirely ignorant.  Let our vote for the candidate be
decisive in selecting her or his delegates to go to the convention. It
really shouldn't be complicated.

If anyone here is tied in with the State Dem. Party pls let me know --
I'd love to start now getting this changed before 2012 (the campaign
for which should be starting any day now).

If anyone wants me spreadsheet let me know.